One of the most frustrating things is being stuck on the side of the road. However, there are ways to stay safe when you are stuck.
When there is an emergency the proper thing to do is pull your vehicle to the side of the road also known as the shoulder.
Though you are out of immediate traffic, it doesn’t mean that you are safe. According to AAA, over 600 pedestrians are killed while on highways in America annually. Even more staggering is that over 18% of these pedestrians involved in some form of an an auto accident were stranded on the side of a road with or in a disabled vehicle.
A major factor in accidents being caused on the shoulders of highways is inattentive, drowsy, or impaired driving. Almost 17% of the accidents accounted for were caused by truck drivers.
Below are a few safety tips to take should you ever find yourself stuck on a highway with a disabled vehicle. The number one priority is always safety:
– Never pull over on a shoulder of a highway unless it is truly an emergency
– It’s safer to be on the right shoulder of the highway as opposed to the left
– Stay calm, use your hazard lights, and move the vehicle to the side of the road as far as you can get it from the highway itself
– Call roadside assistance
– It’s always better to move, even if it is slowly to a safer spot such as a parking lot
– Don’t attempt to change a tire in an unsafe location or if you are too close to the highway, being only a few feet or even inches from vehicles going upwards of 75mph is NEVER SAFE
These tips should help you be more prepared in case you are indeed stuck on the side of the road on a highway. Always be alert, always be safe, and try to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
Brought to you by Northeast Classic Auto Insurance. Please always be safe and for more information contact us at http://classiccarinsurance.com/ or call (800) 866-6440